7 Most Dangerous Types Of Environmental Pollution – With Focus On Clean Coal Power Technology And What Is Being Done About It.
What additional information are you looking for on the topic of pollution?3 everyday things you didn't know were so polluting
Study on smog, health and heart attacks- don't read this if you live in Los Angeles
Is renewable fuel the only way to save ourselves and the world?
Stopping the engine of the world: the environmental crisis
Easy ways to help reduce air pollution
Top polluting cars
Will biokerosene save the airlines industry?
6 green planes to take the future by storm - part 1
6 green planes to take the future by storm - part 2
Bottled water- we are drinking our way to pollution
1. Particle Air Contamination. This type of environmental pollution happens when solid and liquid particles are released into the air and end up mixing with it. These particles may consist of chemicals, exhaust fumes, ash, metal, and other components. This air pollution is a result of burning wood, exhaust fumes, and industrial pollution.
2. Smog. This type of environmental pollution affects the ozone layer and creates serious health risks, such as asthma attacks, lung cancer, and others. When smog is combined with other kinds of air pollution like particle air contamination, it becomes even more dangerous.
3. Greenhouse Gas Emissions. This kind of environmental pollution makes the ozone layer thinner and intensifies the effects of global warming. Greenhouse gas emissions bring about temperature changes and fluctuations, as well as contribute to smog.
4. Use and Disposal of Heavy Metals. Heavy metal environmental pollution can be a result of mining and other similar industrial and extraction procedures. Heavy metals might be lying in puddles or groundwater, which can poison animals and birds, as well as people in the area.
5. Radioactive Waste and Nuclear Power Plants. Radioactive waste is able to change genetic material at the chromosome level, which may be passed down from generation to generation. Radiation sickness and various types of cancer may also be caused by this type environmental pollution.
6. Chemicals. Pesticides and chemicals used in manufacturing are a very dangerous type of environmental pollution. They seep into lakes, rivers, and the ground, bringing about devastating effects to the surroundings. Plants, animals, and humans could be poisoned quickly, or it could take months or even years for any symptoms of poisoning to show up. Many chemicals are known to cause cancer.
7. Coal Power Plants. These plants release a lot of greenhouse gas emissions and particle air pollution. When the coal is burned, polluting byproducts are created, and the leftover wasted and ashes are very toxic to the surrounding area. This harmful waste should be disposed of properly, but it is usually just dumped into pits or nearby lakes. Such disposal pollutes the water and land in the plant area, which creates enormous environmental pollution.
Recently there has been a lot of emphasis on clean coal power. This is technology that does not release CO2 into the atmosphere. The system uses carbon capture and storage (CCS) instead, where it collects the gas, then concentrates it, after which the gas is pumped deep underground and gets stored permanently in natural geological formations. So far this is only a concept, because there hasn’t yet been a fully operational CCS plant.
Other systems of clean coal power work to control the coal burning process, where emissions of nitrogen oxides, sulfur dioxide and particulates are minimized. Flue gas desulphurization systems, or wet scrubbers, are used to remove sulfur dioxide, which is a major cause of acid rain. This is done by spraying flue gas with water and limestone.
With these new technologies, even the burning of fossil fuels such as coal may become relatively un-polluting, and this is the great task facing the world today: how to use technology to reduce the amount of pollutants that we emit.
For the original article, click here
9 Responses to “7 Most Dangerous Types Of Environmental Pollution – With Focus On Clean Coal Power Technology And What Is Being Done About It.”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.