More information is available on global warming and Antarctica and the polar caps?The melting of the arctic ice cap- disaster for mankind and the earth
North Pole global warming - the truth and the realities
Global warming in Antarctica- the devastating impacts on flora and fauna
Global warming effects on antarctica
This article follows on from our previous article on global warming in Antarctica. Here are some facts and figures regarding the consequences of global warming in Antarctica.
1) In the last 30 years, no less than seven gigantic ice shelves have reduced in area by 14,500 square kilometers.
2) The global warming effect on Antarctica is five times as strong as anywhere else. In the last fifty years, the continent has experienced a warming of around 4.5F, or 2.5C.
3) The Southern Ocean is warming fast. Measurements from the Southern Ocean waters around Antarctica showed an increase of 0.3F, or 0.17C in the average ocean temperature between the 50s and the 80s.
4) The global warming effect on Antarctica is rapidly decreasing its ice-thickness. For example, on one of the islands of Antarctica, called Signey, the permanent ice cover of its lakes has decreased by more than 45% in the last 60 years.
5) The famous Larsen B ice shelf has lost 3,250 square kilometers in the last 50 years. In 1995, 1995 km squared disintegrated suddenly, and in January to February 2002, the northern section of the shelf disintegrated. Nothing like this had been observed since scientists started studying Antarctica.
6) A large number of Antarctic penguins have suffered due to these changes. The population of the ubiquitous Antarctic penguin, the Adelie Penguin, has reduced by more than 33% in the last 25 years.
7) Scientists are very concerned about the fate of the massive West Antarctic ice sheet. If it collapses, it could raise sea levels by as much as an incredible 5.8 meters, which would be catastrophic for many islands and coastal areas around the world.
Antarctica remains the best guide scientists have to the impact of global warming. Many predictions that they make regarding the rest of the world comes from what they witness in Antarctica. For a variety of complex reasons, this part of the world is abnormally effected by global warming, and whilst the globe as a whole has not heated up that severly in recent decades, this region has got a lot hotter.
One of the most worrying aspects of global warming is rising sea levels, especially as most of the world’s great cities are located on the coast. Antarctica is the main reason that sea levels are rising, as that is where the majority of the worlds water is locked up in ice (thousands times more than, say, the north pole). Hundreds of scientists are stationed on Antarctica as you read this article, systematically recoding the breakup of ice sheets and reduction of ice cover.
For more information, go to:
- Top 5 Causes and Effects of Global Warming - Updated Article With Extra Information
- The Impact of Global Warming on Forests
- Top 5 List of Greenhouse Gases
- Global Warming Impact on the Earth: Concern or not?
- Glacial History may Tell the Global Climate Story
27 Responses to “Global Warming Effect on Antarctica – updated article with new information”
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.
Blogging keeps me insane. Keep up all the positive work. I too love to blog. I found this one to be very informative 🙂September 13th, 2010 at 10:51 pm
Lastly an outstanding writing related to the subject, keep up the great work and also I hope to read even more within you in the near future.September 13th, 2010 at 5:09 pm
Many experts suppose that it is unlikely that sea level the sea will rise will be less than 50 cm by 2100. According to calculations, this weill affect one in ten humans on the planet.The upper predicited range is a whole meter by 2010 – which would affect one in 5 humans.September 9th, 2010 at 11:24 am
Good share, great article, very usefull for us…thanks.September 6th, 2010 at 12:35 am
I wanted to thank you for this enjoyable read!! I definitely loved every little bit of it. I have you bookmarked your web site to look at the newest stuff you publish.September 5th, 2010 at 4:19 pm
Spotted a link to this post over on Delicious. Thanks for posting it. I’m sure I’ll be back one day.September 1st, 2010 at 4:53 pm
This is a nice blog i must say, usually i don¡¯t post comments on others¡¯ blogs but would like to say that this post really forced me to do so!August 31st, 2010 at 6:15 pm
I really enjoyed this post. You explain this topic very well. I really like your blog and I will definetly bookmark it! Keep up the super posts! 🙂August 31st, 2010 at 6:02 pm
I really enjoyed this post. You explain this topic very well. I really love your blog and I will definetly bookmark it! Keep up the interesting posts!August 30th, 2010 at 5:48 pm
Top quality written. absolutely I found great ideas.August 30th, 2010 at 8:33 am
I just wanted to comment your blog and say that I really enjoyed reading your blog post here. It was very informative. Keep it up and I’ll be back to read more soonAugust 29th, 2010 at 11:00 am
It is wonderful right here. good research. I’ve been searched this kind of information for quite a while. thanksAugust 25th, 2010 at 7:57 am
I usually don?t post in blogs but yours tied my hands, awesome stuff… interestingAugust 18th, 2010 at 12:52 pm
great stuff. thanks a lot for infoAugust 17th, 2010 at 12:23 pm
i think that if humans stop poluting the earth antarctica will not have as much impact on it so it reduses it to melt, so if people don’t use GAS, and use Eletricity it will help too.Minners, Whalers/Sealers/Fishers, Turists and so on are all threats to Antarctica.June 13th, 2010 at 1:12 am
Im so sorry to hear that Antarctica is suffering from Global Warming and if we had acted soon then we would not have this problem now but we cant blame scientists, Nobody knew Global Warming would affect anything but those were just predictions… I feel sorry for the animals that are being extinct such as: Penquins, Polar Bear and more! Global Warming is yes mostly caused by Vehicles that run on Gasoline and Diesel but I suppose theres not much we can do now… Its a real shame. I blame cars and trucks and factorys and places that produce Green House gases but the real reason for Global Warming is atoms that are in gas mix together to make a new type of gas like flamethrowers have gasoline, hydrogen and carbondioxide that mix together to create a strip of fire capable of destroying things but thats not the point. So please people of the earth help fight Global Warming.December 21st, 2009 at 6:58 pm
This is all our fault turn off the computer now and save energy!!!November 8th, 2009 at 12:08 pm
See you all in the afterlife!
terrible save them plz!November 7th, 2009 at 9:50 pm
so cool lol penguins are cute!!November 4th, 2009 at 8:49 pm
Could you tell me why the air temperature has grown colder in the last sevral decades, instead of warmer, as we have all been warned would happen? I just read this, along with pictures of water freezing, as soon as it hits the cold air.
Thank you!October 26th, 2009 at 8:29 pm
Pls save AntarticaSeptember 20th, 2009 at 10:40 am
POLAR BEARS LIVE IN THE ARCTIC. NOT, I REPEAT NOT(!!!) ANTARCTICA!!!!!!!September 8th, 2009 at 2:48 am
This is really bad. the Earth and the Human race can’t continue like this. If it does we’ll die one of two ways: the earth will over heat and we’ll die or the sun will stop producing light because of all the gases and we’ll freze to death. How fun? WE’VE GOT TO DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!August 16th, 2009 at 3:48 am
this may be bad, but i think, its about time, earth will proberbly just over heat, well all die, earth will cool down, then things will start all iver again, lets just hope WE arent around to screw things up next time.June 17th, 2009 at 12:57 pm
we all know that the recession is biting us at the minute so we need to start cutting down our electronics and swith off all appliances please. This should then help the Global Warming in Antarctica!!!!!!!!! PLEASE HELPJune 13th, 2009 at 10:14 am
this is awefulMarch 17th, 2009 at 11:46 pm
I don’t think the polar bears and penguins enjoy saunas. What is going to take to get the human race to realize we cannot keep going like this?January 22nd, 2009 at 6:35 pm